Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Uncle Gussy's Traditional Greek Food

I had been looking forward to eating at Uncle Gussy’s for some time, mostly because of the luscious description of their tzatziki sauce, made by the truck owners’ very own mother. In fact the website goes into great detail about their family’s longtime stake in the food industry; so armed with this knowledge I prepared myself for some excellent Greek food.

            The food was moderately priced, ranging from $4-$7 and featuring pitas, salads and rice platters. I opted for the lamb gyro rice platter, less messy than a pita. The owners were very friendly, the wait not too long (I beat the lunch rush) and the truck itself seemed extremely clean. I received a generous portion of lamb and rice.  In the corner was a small salad, and I received two small containers of tzatziki and hot sauce, which I promptly dumped on top of the whole concoction. The website did not let me down when it touted its tasty sauces. The cool, lemony flavor of the tzatziki sauce complemented with the lightly spiced, drier lamb meat perfectly. The hot sauce packed a perfect level of heat for me, and was especially invigorating mixed with the rice. The seasoned rice absorbed a lot of the lamb’s flavor, and the small salad provided a welcome break from the hearty meat and rice. All around the meal was satisfying and delicious, kudos to Mrs. Gussy for her secret tzatziki recipe. My only complaint was the amount of sauce I was provided. I could have dumped three containers of tzatziki on the platter and still wanted more. So my suggestion to you would be to ask for extra sauce, after all they are labeled as free on the menu.
            To order from Uncle Gussy's, click here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment